|Download Akira (Prototype) (info, raw dump)
An early prototype of the unreleased Akira for the Sega Mega Drive.
- This specific build was burnt on two PCBs, one working and one partially working. Upon dumping both PCBs, it was discovered that one of the later EPROMs on the non working one was a duplicate burn of one of the first EPROM chips but is otherwise exactly the same as the working PCB. The working prototype was dumped multiple times with a Retrode 2. Each dump was consistent in terms of calculated checksum. The EPROMs that make up the working prototype were dumped individually with an EPROM programmer to ensure that the EPROMs had no issue.
- Approximately 65% of the ROMs contents can be accessed within the game itself according to a code/data log analysis. The other 35% is non-null data containing unused sprites and other data.
- Developed by Black Pearl Software in 1993 with an intended release for 1995.
- Earlier than the demo present at the Summer Consumer Electronic Show of 1994 (SCES 1994).
- A lot of music cues are present in the sound test but are unused by the game itself.
- None of the levels can be completed in this prototype.
- You can go back to the level select at any time by pressing start.
- Level 1K/1T lack enemies.
- The game is prone to crashing around the starting area on level 2T.
- The cutscene that plays before 1K/1T are the same.
- There is no cutscene before 4K.
- The game freezes upon loading into the fifth stage.
00000100 00000110 00000120 00000130 00000140 00000150 00000160 00000170 00000180 00000190 000001a0 000001b0 000001c0 000001d0 000001e0 000001f0
- This release is part of Hidden Palace's Holiday 2019 release event. Click here for more information on the other releases from this period.
- Original release article.